How to import One Note Section Pages to AllMyNotes

Tips, tricks and how-to discussions

How to import One Note Section Pages to AllMyNotes

Postposted mpresser » December 23rd, 2012, 9:46 pm

I have several hundred "notes" in a OneNote section, each as a separate page. How can I import them as separate notes in AllMyNotes. I know I can output to a doc file and convert to rtf but that import gives me a single huge document note rather than maintaining the separation of notes as in OneNote.
mpresser

Re: How to import One Note Section Pages to AllMyNotes

Postposted vlad » December 24th, 2012, 8:27 am

Here is the fastest/easiest way to import data from OneNote, in my opinion:

1. Open AllMyNotes Organizer and OneNote applications. Arrange their windows horizontally one next to another, so it's easy to see both at a same time.
2. In OneNote open a note you want to move to AllMyNotes Organizer.
3. Press Ctrl+A to select whole note text.
4. Drag&Drop selected note text to hierarchy tree in AllMyNotes Organizer. Once dropped there, a new note with note text inside will be created there.

Repeat steps 2-4 until all notes you want to move will be transferred.
Alternatively to step 3 you can drag&drop whole section from the right-hand sections list.
AllMyNotes Organizer usage idea: a genealogy tree keeper, and, BTW, use alarms to remember about anniversaries and birthdays
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Postposted JMac » September 16th, 2013, 4:03 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I figured that might be better than adding another thread about the exact same topic.

Vlad, I don’t understand how to drag & drop an entire OneNote 2010 Section into AMN as you state in the post above this one. You posted:
Alternatively to step 3 you can drag&drop whole section from the right-hand sections list.

Yet I cannot seem to do this. The sections list is actually at the top of OneNote's UI. Dragging the Section tab doesn’t work - I tried dragging the Section to the notes pane and also to the tree, but the cursor shows as a circle with a line through it. And as for dragging the whole section from the right-hand sections list (I guess you are talking about the list of pages for the section), when I highlight all the note pages in the right-hand pane and drag them to the AMN notes pane or the tree I get that same circle and strike-through. I can drag individual pages to the AMN tree pane, one at a time, but that will take me a very long time to move all my notes. (I can't find a way to automatically count the notes in OneNote 2010 but I would guess I have somewhere upwards of 4,000 notes there.) Even dragging individual notes from OneNote 2010 is not as simple as it sounds. Table are spread across the entire note pane in AMN and are not easy to fix. I don’t see any setting to allow keeping imported/pasted tables to the same dimensions as pasted. Also the note title isn't captured in AMN; it must be edited and typed in for each individual note!

I realize that Microsoft hasn’t made it easy to move OneNote's data into other programs - shame on them... but they hear that all the time anyway. Yet Evernote has managed to develop coding that lets users import OneNote notes into Evernote by simply selecting the OneNote Notebook and Section to import and Evernote then creates a new notebook with the same name and brings in all notes within that section as individual notes. Perhaps it is possible to look at how Evernote manages this and see if it can be done within AMN Organizer?!

Thanks for listening, and for any support you can offer!

Jim
JMac

Postposted vlad » September 16th, 2013, 11:28 pm

Thank you for describing your experience Jim, as time will allow we'll look in to it, definitely there must be an easier way to extract data from OneNote automatically.

Regarding tables. You are welcome to send us (Image) sample OneNote file to see what exactly your would like us to improve, hope we'll be able to correct it asap.
AllMyNotes Organizer usage idea: a genealogy tree keeper, and, BTW, use alarms to remember about anniversaries and birthdays
vlad
Site Admin

Postposted JMac » September 17th, 2013, 2:29 am

Thank you Vlad.

I have managed to get a couple of my OneNote entire notebooks into AMN by first having Evernote import them from OneNote, then exporting them from Evernote, and finally importing the Evernote export files. Not exactly the best method, but it is getting a lot of it into AMN.

Thanks!

Jim
JMac

Postposted vlad » September 17th, 2013, 1:10 pm

JMac wrote:I have managed to get a couple of my OneNote entire notebooks into AMN by first having Evernote import them from OneNote, then exporting them from Evernote, and finally importing the Evernote export files. Not exactly the best method, but it is getting a lot of it into AMN.

Interesting method indeed, thank you for sharing this trick! :)
vlad
Site Admin

Postposted JMac » November 7th, 2013, 4:56 pm

Hi Vlad.

Well, the method I described above works fine - I have been importing each of my Evernote notebooks into AllMyNotes. In some cases I have imported the notebooks in pieces, using tags to break them up. Mainly because of the number of notes included; I'm trying to keep each import down to about 200 notes each, just in case something goes wrong.

The only problem I am having is that most of the notes are coming in with a very light gray colored font - almost unreadable. Most of my Evernote notes use the font "Segoe UI", size 11 point, and black. Here's an example:

EN-Usual_Suspects_Note.png
Part of a note as it appears in Evernote
EN-Usual_Suspects_Note.png (128.83 KiB) Viewed 5635 times

AMN-Usual_Suspects_Note.png
Part of same note after import to AMN
AMN-Usual_Suspects_Note.png (62.01 KiB) Viewed 5635 times

Any thoughts on how to prevent the change in font color? As it is I can use Ctrl+A to highlight each individual note and then change the font color with AMN's editing tools, but when done I will have added over 5,000 notes imported from Evernote - I really don’t want to have to do this for each one!

Thanks!

Jim
JMac

Postposted vlad » November 7th, 2013, 7:16 pm

JMac wrote:Hi Vlad.

Well, the method I described above works fine - I have been importing each of my Evernote notebooks into AllMyNotes.
The only problem I am having is that most of the notes are coming in with a very light gray colored font - almost unreadable.

Thank you for reporting the issue, though it's bit off-topic cause in this forum thread we are writing about OneNote. Let's do this - w'ell discuss this issue in e-mail, and I'll provide a fix for you/everyone as soon as I'll be able to identify the problem. What I need is sample .enex file, cause from some reason it works well for me, it must be something specific to your data or version of Evernote. So please send the sample file to Image.
vlad
Site Admin

Postposted JMac » November 8th, 2013, 3:40 am

vlad wrote:
JMac wrote:Hi Vlad.

Well, the method I described above works fine - I have been importing each of my Evernote notebooks into AllMyNotes.
The only problem I am having is that most of the notes are coming in with a very light gray colored font - almost unreadable.

Thank you for reporting the issue, though it's bit off-topic cause in this forum thread we are writing about OneNote. Let's do this - w'ell discuss this issue in e-mail, and I'll provide a fix for you/everyone as soon as I'll be able to identify the problem. What I need is sample .enex file, cause from some reason it works well for me, it must be something specific to your data or version of Evernote. So please send the sample file to Image.

OK. I don’t know if it is actually off-topic though... remember these are OneNote notes imported into Evernote and then into AMN (Since there is no way to import OneNote notes directly into AMN).

But I will desist from posting about this topic in this thread.

Thank you.

Jim
JMac

Return to How Do I...