Bullets, checkboxes, font size et al.

Have an idea? We want to hear it!

Bullets, checkboxes, font size et al.

Postposted liviu » July 7th, 2011, 5:09 pm

Just tried v2.46 after skipping a few builds, and the progress looks very nice, thank you. While toying with fonts and sizes I've come across a few things which I believe could still be improved upon.

1. A bulletted line with text without spaces and wider than the page causes the text to be shifted one line down, below the bullet which remains on its own otherwise empty line. This can easily happen with very long URLs, and I'd call it a bug since I don't see any advantage or rationale to this behavior.

2. Bullets (which are actual characters) scale with the font size, but checkboxes (custom drawn) do not. This breaks the alignment when changing the font size. I would suggest that checkboxes also scale, and it would be great if they could support the same color choices as regular text (and bullets).

3. After inserting a checkbox, the "bullet" button also inserts checkboxes instead of bullets next time it's clicked. I guess this is by design, but what I would really prefer would be for the button to be made into a dropdown list, instead, where the user could choose what to insert. The last choice could be remembered, so that clicking the control would insert the respective symbol/control without having to reselect it from the dropdown.

4. Related to #3, it would be very nice to have more bullet/button styles available in that dropdown.

5. One really helpful addition would be a "symbol" button in the editor toolbar, to be populated by the user (or maybe from the .ini file). I often use several special characters (arrows, symbols etc) which I need to copy/paste from elsewhere each time. Having them one click away in the toolbar, instead, would be so much handier.

Liviu
liviu

Re: Bullets, checkboxes, font size et al.

Postposted Denise » August 12th, 2011, 1:57 pm

I actually like that the checkbox is inserted automatically in the bulleted list, but to me that was an unexpected feature. I can see how some would prefer an option as Liviu has suggested.

Also in relation to bulleted lists, it would be nice if wrapped text would indent to match the first text character after the bullet, not the beginning of the line. This is the default in most current text editors and is much more aesthetically appealing.

Thanks,
Denise
Denise

Postposted liviu » August 22nd, 2011, 4:40 am

Denise wrote:Also in relation to bulleted lists, it would be nice if wrapped text would indent to match the first text character after the bullet, not the beginning of the line. This is the default in most current text editors and is much more aesthetically appealing.

The "more appealing" part is a matter of personal preference, and would deserve its own user-controlled option IMHO (see also viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16).

Unfortunately, as much as I like the AMN-O blueprint, and do appreciate Vlad's effort towards, yet reality is that changes aren't necessarily quick to come.

Cheers,
Liviu
liviu

Postposted vlad » August 23rd, 2011, 2:20 pm

Depends on feature. lately we are bit overloaded with seamless data synchronization, so other features have to wait, cause we are already pretty late with this feature.
AllMyNotes Organizer usage example: save all your financial docs - bills, transactions, taxes, investments, records about bank accounts. Limit access it all with a password!
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Postposted TRhex » October 26th, 2011, 11:58 pm

Mind if I add a few comments about bullets and checkboxes here instead of creating a new topic?

1. I actually love the feature that once you insert a checkbox with a bullet, it keeps adding checkboxes when adding subsequent bullets. One request I would have is to be able to set a "default" bullet style; I now use the checkbox almost exclusively. I also vote for liviu's #3, adding a dropdown selection and remembering the last one used.

2. It would be nice to have a tri-state checkbox: clear, checkmark, and "x" (eg. you could mark things as completed or canceled)

3. Has anyone suggested numeric bullets?

Thanks!
tr
TRhex

City/Country: Canada

Postposted vlad » October 27th, 2011, 9:46 am

TRhex wrote:3. Has anyone suggested numeric bullets?

Yes, many users want it, soon we'll have it.
AllMyNotes Organizer usage example: save all your financial docs - bills, transactions, taxes, investments, records about bank accounts. Limit access it all with a password!
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Return to Feature Requests