How to change the default .ini (config) file location

Tips, tricks and how-to discussions

How to change the default .ini (config) file location

Postposted vlad » September 21st, 2012, 3:43 pm

In some cases it's useful to allow custom .ini file location, it can be done starting from AllMyNotes Organizer versions 2.67 (will be released soon), and version 3 beta build #318 below:
http://downloads.vladonai.com/Install_AllMyNotes_3_03_Beta_b718.exe

To alternate the .ini file location use following registry keys:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Vladonai\Prefs\PortableINIFilePath - for Desktop version
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Vladonai\Prefs\DesktopINIFilePath - for Portable version
AllMyNotes Organizer usage idea: do project-mgmt, use reminders and checkboxes to remember about events, track project progress
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Re: How to change the default .ini (config) file location

Postposted cmollekin » November 9th, 2012, 10:36 am

Hi,

I don't understand how this moves the .ini file? Do I have to create a new key? I can currently only see two keys in in the 'Prefs' registry folder which are, '(Default)' and 'FirstLaunchWizard'.

Craig
cmollekin

Postposted vlad » November 9th, 2012, 2:10 pm

cmollekin wrote:I don't understand how this moves the .ini file? Do I have to create a new key?

Yes, you have to manually create new registry keys for that.
AllMyNotes Organizer usage idea: do project-mgmt, use reminders and checkboxes to remember about events, track project progress
vlad
Site Admin

Postposted cmollekin » November 9th, 2012, 5:40 pm

Hi,

I tried to do as instructed on here, but I am not permitted to create keys with back slashes (as given in your example above).

Can you please expand on your instructions please?

Craig
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (14.35 KiB) Viewed 4508 times
cmollekin

Postposted vlad » November 9th, 2012, 8:43 pm

OK, do this:
1. Open the Registry Editor app using Start -> Run... -> typpe "regrdit.exe", press Enter.
2. Go to the registry path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Vladonai\Prefs
3. In the right-hand list do a right mouse button click on an empty space. From appeared menu select New -> String Value.
4. Enter "DesktopINIFilePath" as a name, and the path in the Data field. For example: "C:\Temp\" (without quotes).

If everything went well, it will work.
vlad
Site Admin

Postposted cmollekin » November 9th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Hi,

No, this isn't working. My notes are still going into My Documents. I notice that there is a 'Pref' and a 'Prefx'. Maybe the string should go into 'Prefx'?

I've attached the values that I entered. Do they look as though they have been entered correctly?

Craig
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (10.95 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
cmollekin

Postposted vlad » November 10th, 2012, 12:20 am

cmollekin wrote:No, this isn't working. My notes are still going into My Documents. I notice that there is a 'Pref' and a 'Prefx'. Maybe the string should go into 'Prefx'?

Everything looks ok... Are you using version 2.67 or 3.03 beta? In older app versions it will not work.
vlad
Site Admin

Postposted cmollekin » November 10th, 2012, 10:19 am

Yeah, I'm using 2.67. Maybe the key has to be created straight after install. I'm still getting the wizard too on startup even though AllMyNotes is planted firmly in My Documents. :?
cmollekin

Postposted cmollekin » November 10th, 2012, 12:52 pm

Just out of curiosity, has any other user actually got this to work?
cmollekin

Postposted cmollekin » November 10th, 2012, 3:02 pm

I just uninstalled this and then installed the latest beta version. The folder still plants itself into the 'My Documents' directory. I would not recommend anybody to bother trying this method.
cmollekin

Postposted vlad » November 10th, 2012, 10:35 pm

Ok... My bad... I didn't provided you with enough information. You need to (1) include file name in to the file path (this way you can even change the .ini file name and even extension at your choice), and, (2), the file must be present there, otherwise AllMyNotes will skip this reg key, it will not create it automatically.

P.S. I've attached sample .reg file which is 100% tested and I can confirm that this time it will work. Once again please sorry for incomplete info in the beginning.
Attachments
allmynotes_ini_file_relocation_sample_reg_key.zip
The .reg file sample how to change the .ini file location for AllMyNotes Organizer app
(368 Bytes) Downloaded 312 times
vlad
Site Admin

Postposted cmollekin » November 11th, 2012, 10:19 am

Thanks, vlad. :D
cmollekin

Postposted MaryonJeane » February 12th, 2014, 1:08 pm

I still can't get this to work. I downloaded the sample file and then went into Regedit and changed the path and filename, but no joy and my notes are still stored in the default location - ?
MaryonJeane

Postposted vlad » February 12th, 2014, 4:09 pm

MaryonJeane wrote:...but no joy and my notes are still stored in the default location - ?

So what you actually need - to store your notes in different location, or, the config (.ini) file? Case this topic covers only .ini file location, which has nothing to do with location of your data file. The data file location can be easily changed via File -> Save As... menu item.
vlad
Site Admin

Postposted fitness88 » April 25th, 2020, 9:07 pm

[

The added info helped...it now works...thanks!
fitness88

Return to How Do I...