How to import pdf

Tips, tricks and how-to discussions

How to import pdf

Postposted TechnoDino » March 10th, 2017, 2:29 am

I seem to be "import challenged". I cannot figure out the exact steps to import a pdf file. The pdf in question is on my desktop and I am trying to import to a note inside a folder.

File >> Import >> Select Desktop from the Folder View and type in the file name; click the open button. Nothing happens.

This obviously operator error, but what am I doing wrong??

Thanks
John
aka TechnoDino
TechnoDino

City/Country: Chicago

Re: How to import pdf

Postposted vlad » March 12th, 2017, 6:24 pm

So far we don't have direct import from PDF. Therefore, to import data from PDF you need to convert PDF to HTML format using third-party tool. For example, using this online converter (the Internet is full of this kind of services). After you'll have your data in HTML format, you can use menu item File -> Import.
AllMyNotes Organizer - the free alternative program for Evernote!
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Postposted TechnoDino » March 16th, 2017, 9:20 pm

Thanks for responding and providing an easy work around.

John
John
aka TechnoDino
TechnoDino

Postposted TechnoDino » March 22nd, 2017, 12:48 am

Vlad: I'm back with another question on this topic of importing documents. I can scan documents and output them to HTML. When I import the resulting HTML document (opens in firefox so I know HTML is good) the whole document gets turned into text losing all the formatting and structure. Many of these scanned documents are letters and other documents where the structure and formatting is important for reading the document in the future.

Is this how the import function should work for HTML documents? I can send sample documents if needed.

Thanks
John
John
aka TechnoDino
TechnoDino

Postposted TechnoDino » March 22nd, 2017, 1:25 am

Vlad: Used an online conversion service to convert a PDF to HTML and the import was perfect. This is an issue on my end. Sorry for thr hassle.

John
John
aka TechnoDino
TechnoDino

Re: How to import scanned and converted pdf

Postposted Ken45140 » July 16th, 2019, 7:54 pm

Very late reply to an old thread on Scanning and Importing:

I scanned a document to PDF, used an online service to convert PDF to HTML. Downloaded the resulting free conversion, which wound up in my Downloads folder. I dragged and dropped this file from Downloads folder into AMN. I got it placed where I wanted but it is a image or icon of the file, which when clicked on, opens the file in the downloads folder. IOW, as far as I can tell, I have imported a link to the file on my hard drive.

Is it possible to import the file itself, which is in html format and displays properly in a browser?

CORRECTION: I reread the manual and saw that I should have selected FILE/IMPORT instead of dragging and dropping. So I did this, clicked on the html file in my download folder, clicked OPEN, and the cursor in AMN flashed bigger for a moment but nothing appeared. So, still stuck and need advice.

Thanks for commenting.
Ken
Ken45140

City/Country: Loveland Ohio USA

Postposted dutchguru » September 18th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Just for the record on this old question : pdf is text and image in pixels, hard to translate in oldfashioned words. And .... sometimes secured.

There are editors, capable to import, or write in pdf. Mostly not cheap. ( Libre former Open Office can import, but the result is not always nice to save )

My use : keep all important pdf's as an archive in one big directory, divided in smaller subdir's. Pdf is smaller than nice text :)
And make in AMN a link to that particular pdf. Why saving twice ?

But, sometimes, it's very handy to have some text in words/text. For that situation (not ideal) I have and use very often, a small but handy and free tool: OCR
OCR = Optical Character Recognition
have a look at : http://www.paperfile.net/help.html.

How to use :
1. import the pdf ( or for instance a jpg file in fact every image holding text characters )
2. scan with OCR button = read in characters ( you have to check if all characters are translated correctly )

Result : a bare, clean text file. Ready to convert in html, rtf etc. :mrgreen:
dutchguru

Return to How Do I...