Turn off reminder sound

Tips, tricks and how-to discussions

Turn off reminder sound

Postposted Ian » August 14th, 2013, 9:43 am

Hopefuly an easy one.

I use reminders extensively but find it very annoying when these bleep. Can't find anything in help or on the forum that indicate how to disable this. There is a Sounds option but can't seem to get this to work. I've also tried setting Windows to no sounds but the bleeps still occur.

I'm using WIndows 8 with AMN 3.07 beta.

Help!!

Cheers
Ian
Ian

Re: Turn off reminder sound

Postposted vlad » August 16th, 2013, 4:47 pm

There reason why you receive this bleep sound on your PC speakers (and not on sound card output) is likely related to file named "Winmm.dll", please check your PC, possibly it is missing, if so, you can find information how to restore it here - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/winmm-dll-not-found-missing-error.htm

Let me know if further assistance is needed.
AllMyNotes Organizer usage idea: keep favorite quotes
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Postposted Ian » August 17th, 2013, 9:48 pm

Thanks for that Vlad. However, WINMM.DLL exists within C:\Windows\System32.

Maybe I haven't explained myself properly. I don't want my reminders to make any sound at all. Currently my reminders make a ringing noise (the bleep I was talking about) when they pop up.

Cheers
Ian
Ian

Postposted vlad » August 18th, 2013, 10:25 am

Yes, I see... Ok, soon we'll add the option to disable alarm sound completely.
vlad
Site Admin

Postposted Ian » August 18th, 2013, 2:23 pm

That would be great Vlad. Thanks for the help and quick response.

Cheers
Ian
Ian

Postposted karenina67 » April 27th, 2014, 3:41 pm

vlad wrote:Yes, I see... Ok, soon we'll add the option to disable alarm sound completely.

Any news on that front? It's been 8 months already... ;-)

I need to use alarms/reminders quite extensively due to the nature of my tasks and I am resorting to creating a dumb task/event on Rainlendar instead of AMN, as it gives me the option of a reminder with default/custom/no sound. That sort of defeats my intention of using AMN almost exclusively (I use Rainlendar to sync tasks with my mobile phone)...

Some questions about this issue: where is the alarm sound stored? I couldn't find any sound file within AMN folders so I guess the sound for the alarm is built-in in the program executable. If they were separate, one could easily substitute that sound for anything one wanted, even a blank sound file.

Thank you in advance for that one, and thank you as always for the great program AMN is. I'm still discovering things it can do, and with every new discovery, a lot of nicer ways to organize my job/life open up. :))
karenina67

Postposted karenina67 » August 10th, 2014, 12:20 pm

karenina67 wrote:
vlad wrote:Yes, I see... Ok, soon we'll add the option to disable alarm sound completely.

Any news on that front? It's been 8 months already... ;-)
Some questions about this issue: where is the alarm sound stored? I couldn't find any sound file within AMN folders so I guess the sound for the alarm is built-in in the program executable. If they were separate, one could easily substitute that sound for anything one wanted, even a blank sound file.

Hi there again...

Is there anybody monitoring the forums lately? It seems we get no answers... Or is this a case for a personal (paid license) customer support request? If we could get at least the indication of which file contains the alarm (even if it's one of Windows stardard sounds), we could try something on our end... Please, Vlad, this alarm sound is really annoying, mostly for people who need/use plenty of them...

Thanks in advance.
karenina67

Postposted vlad » August 10th, 2014, 8:11 pm

Ok, you are totally right, this is unacceptably long delay from our end. Let's do this - we've just implemented it as a "quick fix", in other words, it can be disable by editing allmynotes.ini file, do the following to disable alarm sound:
1. Make sure you have version 2.82 (will be released soon), or, 3.10 build 783 (can be downloaded by this link). Launch it at least once.
2. Exit from AllMyNotes Organizer.
3. Open file allmynotes.ini (by default, located in My Documnets\AllMyNotes folder) using Notepad or any other text editor.
4. Find text line AlarmSndEnabled=true, change it to AlarmSndEnabled=false
5. Save changes.
6. Launch AllMyNotes. Enjoy silence :)

And sorry that there is no UI for that yet - we are going to implement sound schemes soon, so this a temporary solution.
vlad
Site Admin

Postposted karenina67 » August 11th, 2014, 5:15 pm

vlad wrote:Ok, you are totally right, this is unacceptably long delay from our end. Let's do this - we've just implemented it as a "quick fix", in other words, it can be disable by editing allmynotes.ini file, do the following to disable alarm sound:
1. Make sure you have version 2.82 (will be released soon), or, 3.10 build 783 (can be downloaded by this link). Launch it at least once.
2. Exit from AllMyNotes Organizer.
3. Open file allmynotes.ini (by default, located in My Documnets\AllMyNotes folder) using Notepad or any other text editor.
4. Find text line AlarmSndEnabled=true, change it to AlarmSndEnabled=false
5. Save changes.
6. Launch AllMyNotes. Enjoy silence :)

And sorry that there is no UI for that yet - we are going to implement sound schemes soon, so this a temporary solution.

I had version 3.10 build 781, and the version downloaded/named as Install_AllMyNotes_3_10_Beta_b783.exe appeared as version 2.81 build 575 on the about dialog, and suggested I download a 'newer' version. I disregarded that and checked the INI file. Just as you said, the option to turn off the alarm sound was there and I disabled it. Thanks a zillion! (Six reminders just for the last two hours were 'silently enjoyed'. :D )

The only but now is: how do we get the about dialog to reflect the real beta version and build number of the application?
karenina67

Postposted vlad » August 11th, 2014, 10:36 pm

karenina67 wrote:The only but now is: how do we get the about dialog to reflect the real beta version and build number of the application?

Sorry, my bad - it wasn't beta version, but version 2.81, we'll publish version 3.11 soon and it will include this fix.
vlad
Site Admin

Postposted Guest » October 25th, 2014, 8:15 pm

Whats about this status?

Most I have problem that every time I reboot every alarm thats already dismissed is sounding
Any solution on this ?

Sven Åke

Postposted vlad » October 26th, 2014, 4:59 am

Guest wrote:Whats about this status?

Most I have problem that every time I reboot every alarm thats already dismissed is sounding
Any solution on this ?

You can download the most recent beta version which allows disabling alarm sound form this link - http://downloads.vladonai.com/Install_AllMyNotes_3_10_Beta_b785.exe
vlad
Site Admin

Postposted vlad » December 2nd, 2020, 11:06 am

Just want to mention that we've just released version 4.03 (beta), which includes Sound Themes and allows to choose an alternative alarm sound.
vlad
Site Admin

Return to How Do I...