Annoying Bugs I Constantly Deal With

Technical support discussions and Bug Reports – You find em, we squash em

Annoying Bugs I Constantly Deal With

Postposted helixdpr » October 21st, 2016, 3:44 pm

So, there are issues. I've owned this software since March 18, 2015, and these problems were immediately evident. After patiently waiting for corrections, I've finally gotten onto this forum and feel it's time to speak up. First, let me say that I used InfoSelect for many years up to InfoSelect ver 5. But, these issues I deal with using AllMyNotes (AMN) are so fundamental, they cannot be ignored and are not simply because I had them in InfoSelect.

FIRST: I often cut from a few applications and then paste into AMN. However, AMN always drops characters just after special characters such as quotation marks. The only way I can get it to paste faithfully is to first paste the text into a Word or OpenOffice document, then copy from that document and finally paste into AMN. Here's an example below. Notice how pasting directly from the copied source material causes AMN to drop characters immediately after the end quotes.

Pasting Directly Into AllMyNotes:
:*** wp16 No. 3 p. 8 The Dead Will Live Again! ***
Soon, God will do just that—for Job and countless others—when this earth is transformed into a paradise. (Luke 23:42,  “There is going to be a resurrection,”he Bible confirms at Acts 24:15. “Do not be amazed at this,”esus assures us, “for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out.” (John 5:28, ob will see that promise fulfilled. He will have the prospect of regaining “his youthful vigor,”nd his flesh will forever remain “fresher than in youth.” (Job 33:24, he same will happen to all who respond with appreciation to God’s merciful provision of a resurrection to life on earth.

What is causing these dropped characters after the quotes? Why doesn't any other text editing software have this problem?

Pasting from original into OpenOffice, then copy from OpenOffice and pasting Into AllMyNotes gives the results I desire:
*** wp16 No. 3 p. 8 The Dead Will Live Again! ***
Soon, God will do just that—for Job and countless others—when this earth is transformed into a paradise. (Luke 23:42, 43) “There is going to be a resurrection,” the Bible confirms at Acts 24:15. “Do not be amazed at this,” Jesus assures us, “for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out.” (John 5:28, 29) Job will see that promise fulfilled. He will have the prospect of regaining “his youthful vigor,” and his flesh will forever remain “fresher than in youth.” (Job 33:24, 25) The same will happen to all who respond with appreciation to God’s merciful provision of a resurrection to life on earth.

SECOND:
It is impossible to print only notes in a selected topic. Either you must print each note individually, one by one, in that topic, or you must print every note you've ever created in ALL topics if you want to print more than one note at a time! This is terrible. Selected notes within a topic, or all the notes in that one topic should be able to be printed in one print job. But, printing ALL the notes in the entire software? Who does that?

THIRD:
There should be a simple way of combining adjacent notes into a single note. Conversely, there should be a reverse operation to this. In InfoSelect, this was easily accomplished with a double-dash placed on a blank line. It was possible to have several such "breaks" within a single note. Hitting the 'split-note' hotkey then splits up that single note into two or more notes, depending on how many breaks you created in the original note. The reverse operation happened just as easily. I would argue that this isn't just something that I want because InfoSelect had it. Rather, AMN is structured in exactly the same manner as InfoSelect and so this operation is a fundamental function of the whole concept of Topics and Notes, not just a "nice to have."

So, Vlad and his lovely wife are wonderful people, and I love the idea of supporting their company and affordable alternative products against all the big players out there, as well as recommending their product. But, if these matters aren't addressed at some point, eventually I'm just going to bite the bullet and make a large, one-time InfoSelect purchase and end this misery.

Dano.
helixdpr

City/Country: Florida, USA

Re: Annoying Bugs I Constantly Deal With

Postposted vlad » October 22nd, 2016, 12:53 am

helixdpr wrote:So, there are issues. I've owned this software since March 18, 2015, and these problems were immediately evident. After patiently waiting for corrections, I've finally gotten onto this forum and feel it's time to speak up.

Dano, may be I'm missing something, but IMO you are incorrect in your judgement. Particularly, I've checked history of all our e-mail conversations, and this is the first time I read about issue with pasting text, you either never contacted us regarding it, or, it was somehow caught by our spam filter, hard to tell, but ok, we can start from here.

helixdpr wrote:FIRST: I often cut from a few applications and then paste into AMN. However, AMN always drops characters just after special characters such as quotation marks.

I've just tried to copy-paste it from my browser, and it works just fine. The issue must be very specific to the source software you are copying data from. Please let me know which application you are using, including its version number. Would be helpful also to have a download link to it.

helixdpr wrote:SECOND:
It is impossible to print only notes in a selected topic. Either you must print each note individually, one by one, in that topic, or you must print every note you've ever created in ALL topics if you want to print more than one note at a time!

What prevents you from selecting multiple notes you want to print manually? In version 3 you can do it in hierarchy tree and folder view, while in version 2 it works in folder view only, but still you can do it. All what you have to do is to select first note you want to print, press the shift key down, and select the last note, as simple as that.

helixdpr wrote:THIRD:
There should be a simple way of combining adjacent notes into a single note. Conversely, there should be a reverse operation to this. In InfoSelect, this was easily accomplished with a double-dash placed on a blank line. It was possible to have several such "breaks" within a single note. Hitting the 'split-note' hotkey then splits up that single note into two or more notes, depending on how many breaks you created in the original note. The reverse operation happened just as easily. I would argue that this isn't just something that I want because InfoSelect had it. Rather, AMN is structured in exactly the same manner as InfoSelect and so this operation is a fundamental function of the whole concept of Topics and Notes, not just a "nice to have."

Here is how we are usually splitting notes in AllMyNotes:
1. Open first Note.
2. Highlight the text you want to be placed in to another note, press Ctrl+X (cut)
3. Create new Note (second note)
4. Press Ctrl+V (paste)
Done.

Here is how we are usually merging notes in AllMyNotes:
1. Open first Note
2. Select all text in it using keyboard shortcut Ctrl+A
3. Copy (Ctrl+C) the text to the clipboard.
4. Select second Note
5. Paste clipboard content at desired cursor position (Ctrl+V)
Done. Optionally you can delete first note.

Indeed, it's but different concept than in InfoSelect, but we are measuring feature popularity by number of user requests. This particular feature has nearly zero demand, therefore I presume users are easily doing it using clipboard, as I've just illustrated above.
AllMyNotes Organizer - the best portable program to keep ideas, passwords, plus, it has a 1000+ of other uses.
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Postposted helixdpr » October 25th, 2016, 2:01 am

Wow. I'm humbled that you so carefully and thoroughly replied to me, Vlad. Thank you. I won't make this a long reply. I'm going to send you a link to my Dropbox via E-mail that you can use to install the software I copy from and paste snips into AMN. And, you're right that I likely never wrote you about that problem directly. Usually, I figure others are having the same problem I have with software and if it's a real issue, it'll eventually get fixed. This one never did. So, you're probably right that this software I use is unique. But, I use it all the time and construct collections of material from it using AMN. Even though I can do the same thing directly in Open Office, I love the organization tool that AMN gives me.

As for printing, I cannot select more than one note in a topic. When I "Check for Updates" under Help, it tells me I'm using the latest version. My version is 2.84 (Build 586), not version 3. When I select the topic and print, it just prints the Topic's right-pointing arrow and the topic's title. Not the notes that the topic folder contains. It has always worked this way on my Windows 7 computer and I'm now on a new, Windows 10 computer that I purchased this year, so it isn't the machine. If you want to, you can remote into my computer sometime and see for yourself. But, I just can't select more than one note. Really.

Finally, of course you can cut and paste from one note into others, or cut from many and paste them into one. I prefer to spend my time being productive. That's why this is such a cool feature. You just separate your texts by double-dashes on their own blank line. Hit the hotkey, and they all instantly split into separate notes. I mean, it can be hundreds of splits in a single window. And, I've actually used it that way in InfoSelect. HUNDREDS! From one note into hundreds and from hundreds into a single note. Just like that! Here's how it looks:

This is going to be the first note.
--
This is going to be the second note.
--
This is going to be the third note.
--
This is going to be the fourth note.
--
This is going to be the final note.

Now, hit <Ctrl><S> to split all the above into five separate notes... INSTANTLY.
Reverse the process by hitting <Ctrl><J> to join all selected notes back together. I'm surprised that you don't know about this feature in InfoSelect.
helixdpr

Postposted helixdpr » October 2nd, 2017, 3:49 pm

Hi Vlad. Yes, I'm back to whine again. But, it's not too bad, I think...
Basically, let's imagine that I have a folder and in that folder are 6 notes of varying lengths. If each note represents what I want on a single piece of paper, then I would like to highlight all six notes and hit print, and expect there to be six pieces of paper on the printer. Unfortunately, AMN doesn't see it that way. Instead, it just adds all the notes together into a single long stream of text and then prints the whole thing out on however many sheets of paper it takes--two, three, whatever.

So, I would like to see a checkbox in the print dialogue box that lets me print a selected group of notes on individual sheets of paper. What do you think? Can that be done?

Dano.
helixdpr

Return to Troubleshooting