Backup icon on the toolbar

Have an idea? We want to hear it!

Backup icon on the toolbar

Postposted TimRosenlof » August 15th, 2018, 4:24 am

I think it would be handy to have a backup icon on the toolbar. Currently three steps to backup.

Tim
TimRosenlof

Re: Backup icon on the toolbar

Postposted vlad » August 15th, 2018, 8:33 am

The backup feature is for emergency case only, majority of AllMyNotes customers never use it. Do you really use it so heavily to have it on a toolbar?
AllMyNotes Organizer usage idea: keep your financial docs - bills, transactions, taxes, investments, records about bank accounts. Protect it all with a password!
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Postposted TimRosenlof » August 15th, 2018, 11:51 am

As soon as I launch AMN I Do a Backup. I do frequent backups after large entries. Auto save will not help me.

Tim Rosenlof
TimRosenlof

Postposted TimRosenlof » August 15th, 2018, 3:56 pm

vlad wrote:The backup feature is for emergency case only, majority of AllMyNotes customers never use it. Do you really use it so heavily to have it on a toolbar?

How about a hot key

Tim
TimRosenlof

Postposted vlad » August 21st, 2018, 7:42 am

TimRosenlof wrote:How about a hot key?

Ok, we can do it. Please do tell what exactly you need? Shall it be a silent backup? Or, would you prefer a UI with backup file name/location prompt?
AllMyNotes Organizer usage idea: keep your financial docs - bills, transactions, taxes, investments, records about bank accounts. Protect it all with a password!
vlad
Site Admin

Postposted TimRosenlof » August 21st, 2018, 2:44 pm

maybe the admin will delete my last post. ooops.

Hotkey would work for "me". Silent would be OK, however I would prefer to have the backup be to dependent on which .ddb I have open. I am a Genealogist and currently need the prompt for each client/name/location/etc. I know this is a lot of work on users and probably for you being the developer. I usually have at least 4 .ddb AMN in separate windows and really need to go between each one different AMN window (that is why tabbing would work great for me), yes I could just use the windows Tab key. AMS is not the only thing I have open :D

I backup at least 4 times each day. No I cannot afford to loose any data. Been there done that. Maybe others think I am nuts. ;)
Why don't I just use a different tree (within AMS). I did combine them at one point. Been there done that, it also just created one 57MB. ;) Too scary for me.

After that.. I am very pleased with AllMyNotes. I was using a competitors software but they hadn't had a upgrade since 2012. It has/been a challenge to migrate all my data but overall been worth it.

Thanks,
Tim Rosenlof
TimRosenlof

Postposted TimRosenlof » September 5th, 2018, 2:38 pm

But ... I guess if it is silent, what is the point of having a prompt. I would be responsible to grab it from the bucket and change it a later time.
I could write a script to this on my end

I vote for not having a prompt.

Tim Rosenlof
TimRosenlof

Postposted vlad » September 5th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Please sorry for a moment of silence. I'm sidetracked with some other tasks but I'm going to implement keyboard shortcut shortly, I'll followup once I'll have it ready.
vlad
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests