Single Large Database vs Multiple Single Topic DBs

Tips, tricks and how-to discussions

Single Large Database vs Multiple Single Topic DBs

Postposted Ken45140 » July 16th, 2019, 3:44 pm

As I am in the process of maximum use of AMN (with conversion of many notes from OneNote and Evernote), I would like to have experienced perspective on the following organizational question:

What are the pros and cons of having one large DB (database) with many subjects as Tree items vs multiple smaller DBs restricted to their own topics?
Large DB might be
MyData
HEALTH TOPICS
FINANCIAL TOPICS
PROJECT TOPICS

vs

HEALTH DB
EXERCISE TOPICS
DIET TOPICS
DISEASE TOPICS

and
FINANCIAL TOPICS
BUDGETING TOPICS
INVESTING TOPICS
SAVINGS TOPICS

and ETC. Please tell me your experiences and opinions on this. I certainly will appreciate your advice.
Thanks,
Ken
Ken45140

City/Country: Loveland Ohio USA

Re: Single Large Database vs Multiple Single Topic DBs

Postposted Ken45140 » July 24th, 2019, 5:13 pm

I sure wish I could see some replies to this question. It seems an important one, especially to those just starting out with AMN.

If you see this and have some insights, please reply.

Thanks much,

Ken
Ken45140

City/Country: Loveland Ohio USA

Re: Single Large Database vs Multiple Single Topic DBs

Postposted vlad » July 24th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Usually we recommend single storage file and multiple folders within it to categorize your data. This way you can have all your data searchable and available for browsing at all times. There is no performance issues - AllMyNotes keeps all data on a disk, it only loads currently edited note, so no need to worry about anything. No matter how your data file is, it start up instantly and uses minimum of RAM.
AllMyNotes Organizer - piece of magic secure tool to keep thoughts, passwordsplus, a thousand of other appliances.
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Return to How Do I...