One user - two machines [notes synchronization]

Tips, tricks and how-to discussions

One user - two machines [notes synchronization]

Postposted dbourrut » August 20th, 2011, 1:08 pm

Prior to purchase I asked if I needed one license or two. I was told one as I have my home office desktop and my laptop and I wanted to be able to install it on both but since I am the only user I wondered how many licenses I needed and, as I say, I was told that I only needed one.

Now, it turns out that either I need two licenses or I can't even do what I expected to be able to do.

Lets say I'm sitting at my desktop computer and I've made a note. Then, I see that its lunch time and I go upstairs to eat lunch but while eating I receive a business call and I pick it up upstairs. Now I need to make a note. Since I'm upstairs I walk over to my laptop and start AllMyNotes and get the following message: "An error has occurred reading file content..." and it appears the only way around this is to now run downstairs; close AllMyNotes; run back upstairs and now I can open it upstairs. That's not too useful for me.

Is there a solution?
dbourrut

Re: One user - two machines

Postposted vlad » August 20th, 2011, 6:44 pm

We are currently working on seamless synchronization which will merge changes done note only on two machines, but by whole workgroup, will be possible to synchronize .ddb files on same machine, over LAN, and over Internet. Please expect this feature to be ready soon.

In a meantime we may suggest a Dropboxservice, which stores your data file on-line. But it's still not perfect for working on the same file simultaneously.

Afterall, there is another solution – on your Notebook create a new file using File -> New menu item, create a new note there, and when you’ll be back to your PC, open it there, and copy created note to your main data file. In case if you need to open existing Note on your Notebook while data file is locked by your PC there is a solution - hopefully your note is present in one of numerous backup files. Open it by clicking on it in Explorer, as simple as that.

Hope one of suggested solutions will suit you, and the really sweet solution will be ready soon :)
AllMyNotes Organizer usage tip: keep lyrics of your favorite bands
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Postposted dbourrut » September 14th, 2011, 4:59 pm

Do you have a time-frame for this? As of now I've put your product aside until this is possible.

Thanks,

Drew

vlad wrote:We are currently working on seamless synchronization which will merge changes done note only on two machines, but by whole workgroup, will be possible to synchronize .ddb files on same machine, over LAN, and over Internet. Please expect this feature to be ready soon.
)
dbourrut

Postposted vlad » September 14th, 2011, 6:17 pm

Please check this page in mid-October - http://www.vladonai.com/allmynotes_support_faq_beta.php
Hopefully we'll start beta-testing very soon.
vlad
Site Admin

Postposted Ian » December 27th, 2011, 9:24 pm

Hi Vlad was reading this with interest.

Will this allow me to have the same .ddb file open and updatable similtaneously on multiple computers? I use another product "Express Notes" currently but it doesn't have anywhere near the features of AllMyNotes. However, it does allow my computers (my one, my wifes one and our laptop) to access all of our notes at the same time and for updates to be available immediately on all computers.

Looks like you were targetting releasing this feature in mid October but doesn't look like it has been implemented yet. Is it likely this will be soon or will it be a few months yet?

Many thanks
Ian
Ian

Postposted vlad » December 27th, 2011, 11:52 pm

Ian wrote:Will this allow me to have the same .ddb file open and updatable similtaneously on multiple computers?

Kind of... You'll have to create a separate .ddb file somewhere, exclusively to synchronize with. No one shall work on it, only synchronize with it, using the toolbar button, or automatically. But that's minor details, the concept is this - a group of people will be able to synchronize all their notes, or, individual folders, with that database file.

Ian wrote:Looks like you were targetting releasing this feature in mid October but doesn't look like it has been implemented yet. Is it likely this will be soon or will it be a few months yet?

:oops: Soon... We are working on it, but due to amount of other tasks to work on it's a little bit delayed.
vlad
Site Admin

Postposted Ian » December 28th, 2011, 9:02 am

Syncronising with a "master" .ddb file sounds fine.

I'll keep an eye on the Beta page for progress.

I just purchased a copy of the Deluxe version last night, was so impressed by the other features.

Many thanks for the speedy and comprehensive response.
Ian

Postposted TM » October 14th, 2012, 5:44 pm

Hi, I wonder if there is a solution to the sync between different machines now?
TM

Postposted vlad » October 15th, 2012, 7:45 am

TM wrote:Hi, I wonder if there is a solution to the sync between different machines now?

Currently this feature is in beta-testing stage, you can find some more details here.
vlad
Site Admin

Re: One user - two machines [notes synchronization]

Postposted RichardTE » April 2nd, 2013, 3:05 am

Just purchased AllMyNotes & it looks like great software, thanks.

I'm syncing over SugarSync, which, if you don't know, is a lot like DropBox.
Trying to sync AllMyNotes at work & at home.

What I'm finding is that are several issues with releasing or unlocking .ddb files.
It seems that for AllMyNotes to handle syncing over one of the cloud services,
it will need to handle several complicated operations. When AllMyNotes 'Saves' its data
(when you click on 'Save') this doesn't actually update the .dbb file. The .dbb
file will be updated when you exit the program, or when you create a new node. This
lag-time between the updating of user content, and the updating of the .ddb (literally,
when the file acquires a new date stamp) is when there are problems accessing the content
from 2 different machines. I'm sure that the devs already know all this.

If AllMyNotes can be made to lock & unlock its .ddb file, and read the current state
of the .dbb file, then it can be designed to work with DropBox, SugarSync & whatever
is next on the horizon (but it's not easy). My situation is that I leave my work computer,
drive 1/2 hour to home (in Maryland) & then open my .ddb file from home. I want
the running instance of AllMyNotes on my work machine to be shutdown, in effect
releasing the datafile that I'm trying to access from home (& vice-versa).

I'm experiment with a Windows (7) batch file that will shutdown AllMyFiles after 30
minutes of inactivity. In this way, whether I'm at home or at work, I can access the datafile
without it be under control of my 'other' machine. Preliminary results are promising.
The batch file isn't very complicated.

RichardTE
RichardTE

Postposted Billy » March 21st, 2016, 1:23 am

need to understand data sync issue: only specifically chosen Folders within a data file are actually sync'd, and each must be listed.... is that correct? if so, will all the data in all the subfolders of a chosen folder in sync also be kept in sync? or, must each subfolder also be chosen and listed for syncing of its data to occur...?

thxs
Billy
Billy

Postposted vlad » March 21st, 2016, 3:20 pm

Billy wrote:only specifically chosen Folders within a data file are actually sync'd, and each must be listed.... is that correct? if so, will all the data in all the subfolders of a chosen folder in sync also be kept in sync?

Right, all sub-folders and sub-notes of selected folder will be in sync automatically.
vlad
Site Admin

Postposted Billy » March 22nd, 2016, 1:46 am

ok... if all subfolders of a folder specified and listed for sync will also be updated and sync'd, then a way to sync an entire data file would be to make all folders into subfolders of one super-folder, and then just list that super-folder for syncing... yes...?
Billy

Postposted vlad » March 22nd, 2016, 10:33 pm

Billy wrote:ok... if all subfolders of a folder specified and listed for sync will also be updated and sync'd, then a way to sync an entire data file would be to make all folders into subfolders of one super-folder, and then just list that super-folder for syncing... yes...?

Exactly.
vlad
Site Admin

Postposted Billy » April 1st, 2016, 11:06 pm

ok, sounds good ...in theory. but just ran into this problem trying to sync. I did this routine:
1. have created a Central database accessible to 3 computers by Windows Homegroup.
2. have a number of .ddb files within that Windows folder I would like have on other computers and keep in sync.
3. opened one of those MyFile.ddb files within AMN
4. expanded an AMN folder within that ddb and left it in cursor highlight mode
5. went to Tools | Data Sharing | Config synchronization
6. clicked Add then New
6. went to the directory where this same .ddb file resides.
7. highlighted that .ddb file name
8. clicked Save
got this reply: "MyFile.ddb already exists, do you want to replace it? "
If you click Yes, only then do you get a 2nd Save option, but that leads to an error message.

obviously that's not the right routine....

so, tried this routine:
1. have created Central windows folder for .ddb files, same as above.
2. have no .ddb's within it yet. it's still empty
3. opened a MyFile.ddb file from another AMN subdirectory were my regular .ddb's normally reside
4. expanded an AMN folder within that Central\MyFile.ddb file, as above
5. went to Tools | Data Sharing | Config synchronization
6. Pressed Add and New and created MyFileCentral.ddb.
7. Pressed Save, pressed Save again.
8. Went to another computer.
9. Started AMN.
10. File | New and created MyFileComputer2.ddb as a new, empty ddb.
11. Created and opened an AMN folder within this ddb.
12. Went to Tools | Data Sharing | Config synchronization
13. Pressed Add and then Browsed to MyFileCentral.ddb
14. Pressed Save, pressed Close.
15. then did Tools | Data Sharing | Sychronize Data, highlight entry and press Start | Close for
both computers.
16. seems there are actually 3 places where data resides. The opened .ddb file from which you
create a new ddb within Central. The file within Central itself, and then another ddb on a 2nd computer.
You don't work from the file within Central....correct..? and both configurations of the other two files
should point to the Central location for syncing.... correct? but notes I create in one are not
subsequently created in the other, even after I force a save or even a close program-re open.

seems the directions are not very precise.... or I'm just stuck on something... help appreciated...
Deluxe license holder...

thxs
Billy

Postposted jpurvin » July 24th, 2016, 10:10 pm

I appreciated the work you've put in to checking this out, Billy.

I, too, tried today to set up a sync using the information on http://www.vladonai.com/allmynotes-orga ... notes-info. I found that I couldn't really follow the instructions.

For example, I don't know where to start. Do you start from the central location, which in my case is a folder called Central on Dropbox? If you do, the Sync configuration applet warns of duplicate data unless the local folder you're going to sync to is empty. But, I don't see anything in the instructions ever explaining how you define the local file you want sync'd by other computers.

I think I'm going to wait until I see more directions, and maybe an example, to help me set this up.
jpurvin

Postposted Ken45140 » July 28th, 2019, 4:24 pm

First comment: last message in this thread is July, 2016. There seems to be no more recent messages on synchronization for 3 years. Hard to believe. I am still new to AMN and struggling with getting my database (all of it) on my laptop as well as my desktop to be synchronized.

Second comment: I have read and reread the instructions on synchronization that vlad published and finally see the instruction:
"1.1. In the hierarchy tree view select the folder you want to synchronize with others."
In a reply to another user, this point was made again. My question: I want to have my entire database show up on whatever computer I am working on, in its entirety.
Does this mean that I should create a folder tree that looks like this"
Top Level >>> MyData
First Level >>>> All the rest of my folders. Then point to the First Level for synchronization??

I want to work on my desktop, adding notes, etc., (in various places) Then I want to (later) open my laptop in another room in the house, open AMN and see the entire database, with the changes/additions I made earlier on the desktop. Then even later, see any changes made on the laptop reflected in what I open (or just see) on AMN on the desktop.

Anyone got all of this to work? Can you make some additional comments about your experience?

Thanks,

Ken
Ken45140

City/Country: Loveland Ohio USA

Return to How Do I...