Backup and save control

Technical support discussions and Bug Reports – You find em, we squash em

Backup and save control

Postposted Thorrun » March 11th, 2020, 11:43 am

Deja Vu! but I KNOW I've been here before! Backup and Save setup. I do not consider myself PC illiterate but just cannot setup save and backup to successfully now find two total afternoons hours of composing some family history to pass on. I no longer trust AMNO to make another attempt. I have tried allocating a folder of choice and its alternative of 'where the data file is located' and I am no longer certain about where to find that!
I seem find backups from two years ago but no recent files no matter how I setup.Current setting is:-
Auto save every three minutes
Auto backup storage file
Backup on closing app or closing file
Auto delete backup older than 3 days
Backup location: same folder where backup is located.
PLEASE advise - afraid I cannot respond today if info is required

I have found a log file with a date and time corresponding today's missing four or five hours composing.
Thorrun

Re: Backup and save control

Postposted vlad » March 12th, 2020, 12:45 am

I presume there is an issue with access permissions to the backup location folder. Try to change the location, if it will not help, look for file named allmynotes.log, it should contain information why backups cannot be created on your PC.
AllMyNotes Organizer usage tip: store records on your domestic pets - vaccination schedule, collect articles about feeding, and recommendations from your vet
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Re: Backup and save control

Postposted Thorrun » March 12th, 2020, 8:32 am

From the log file I managed to recover about a third of lost data. I now rather suspect I changed the location of the backups before saving the data in progress and caused a problem although no warning appeared. Many error warnings of inability to save whilst searching the backup files due to "invalid path" A new folder now created on a selected external drive appears to work so here's hoping it continues. Should I transfer all earlier backups to it or just archive them?
Thorrun

Return to Troubleshooting