Opening/closing AMNO+ Db/backup

Everything else about AllMyNotes Organizer
Thorrun

Opening/closing AMNO+ Db/backup

Post by Thorrun »

Until today I normally close AMNO by closing the window and needed to use the password to open it again, now, the password is only required if I close the program via FILE-EXIT?

Database and backup, I have always found this the most confusing aspect of AMNO and have tried many variations of setting, and is currently set as follows:
Prompt before saving changes
Auto backup storage file
Backup on exiting or closing file
Auto delete backups older than one day
Backup Location- custom location
The confusion is in being presented with a meaningless (to me!) file with sets of numbers i.e 13-06-24 etc. and no indication of when or where the last backup file to open can be found by date/time? I thought I was computer savvy enough to discover how it works but confess I am baffled! I would prefer a simple backup file of the last closure in a selected data store file that I can save in multiple drives etc. to restore in the event of a drive/program failure as in most other software. As I can see no other users with the same difficulties I have to accept it is due to my ignorance, but some guidance here will be welcome, I wish to keep AMNO for the benefits it provides.
vlad
Site Admin

Re: Opening/closing AMNO+ Db/backup

Post by vlad »

Thorrun wrote:Until today I normally close AMNO by closing the window and needed to use the password to open it again, now, the password is only required if I close the program via FILE-EXIT?
Right. We do have a feature request to ask for the password on clicking on an app tray icon, so it will be done one day.
At present moment I can recommend workaround solution: configure AllMyNotes not to hide to system tray on pressing X button, and, put AllMyNotes shortcut to the system quick launch bar.
Thorrun wrote:The confusion is in being presented with a meaningless (to me!) file with sets of numbers i.e 13-06-24 etc. and no indication of when or where the last backup file to open can be found by date/time?
13-06-24 is date in YY-MM-DD format, this format allows sorting backups by date when you are sorting files by name, which is quite convenient, as file modification time may change on opening backup file, so you cannot rely on that.
Thorrun wrote:I would prefer a simple backup file of the last closure in a selected data store file that I can save in multiple drives etc... As I can see no other users with the same difficulties I have to accept it is due to my ignorance, but some guidance here will be welcome, I wish to keep AMNO for the benefits it provides.
Ron, we had really lots of users with exactly same issue, complaining about all these numerous backups, wanted to disable them automatic backuping. And, oh, course the did disable this feature (see Tools -> Options -> Backup), and a year or two after they where contacting us with exactly same question - how to get their data back after system failure, sorry, it was too late, these who do not care about backups are at high risk, and, for users who had this feature enabled this problem appeared very rarely. Please believe me, this is done with intent, to protect your data, and it works.
AllMyNotes Organizer - state of the art encrypted alternative app for Evernote!
RonR

Post by RonR »

Thank you Volodymyr for your time and patience and clearing up some misunderstanding. I was using software to do incremental backups daily, however when the time came to recover, the initial file was missing so all the backups worthless. I suspect a cleanup by other aggresive cleaner software and lack of attention to what was being deleted! I have started again but will pay more attention to where data and backups are stored - probably on an external HDD.
Kind Regards,
RonR
vlad
Site Admin

Post by vlad »

RonR wrote:when the time came to recover, the initial file was missing so all the backups worthless
There is no need in any sort of "initial file", any single backup file is totally enough to restore your data. It's enough to double-click on a .ddb backup file to open it from any location, as simple as that.
AllMyNotes Organizer - state of the art encrypted alternative app for Evernote!