What is the maximum recommended size for the database?

Everything else about AllMyNotes Organizer
ikel

What is the maximum recommended size for the database?

Post by ikel »

Hi,

What is the maximum recommended size for a database of AllMyNotes Organizer?
Thank you.

Regards,
ikel
vlad
Site Admin

Re: What is the maximum recommended size for the database?

Post by vlad »

There is no limit on database size, also it doesn't affects the app start time.

However, there is one thing to consider - individual note size. Try to do not attach huge file attachments to notes, It affect note opening time, and, in event of RAM shortage may lead to app crash. I'd recommend to keep single note size under 100Mb limit. If you really need to attach many huge files, try to split them to many notes (ex: one note per attachment), this will greatly reduce RAM usage.
AllMyNotes Organizer usage example: a shopping ideas organizer
ikel

Post by ikel »

Hi Vlad,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried one product and I'm told, database cannot be larger than 300mb.
I tried another outlier, and told the same, database should be 300mb.
I tried another but only allows 1 attachment per note.

Thank you.

Regards,
Iwan
vlad
Site Admin

Post by vlad »

You are welcome. Basically we don't have limits other than your system's resources. You can have unlimited number of attainments per note, and you can even attach files bigger than 300Mb if you have a lot of RAM, but still, it's not recommended, it will open that note really slowly, and it may even crash if your system is limited in RAM/virtual memory.

We are currently working on 64-bit edition. It's already available for public testing. As you may know, old 32-bit software is limited to 2Gb of RAM per application. 64-bit edition is free from this limitation. But still, we recommend to do not attach something which is really huge, it's not AllMyNotes but the system which may simply kill the application when it's not able to allocate enough ram. With average size of individual notes within 100Mb it will be comfortable to work with AllMyNotes. Once again, cumulative size of all notes is not limited, AllMyNotes is not loading all the notes, only currently edited one, so there is no limits at all.
SydHappens

Post by SydHappens »

I'm noticing that if I hit close to 300MB on one note, it'll crash.
vlad
Site Admin

Post by vlad »

SydHappens wrote:I'm noticing that if I hit close to 300MB on one note, it'll crash.
It may crash only when you are low of RAM. Frequently Windows will warn you about RAM shortage and offer some actions to do about it.

But you have 300Mb of what? Pure text? Likely you are counting graphical images in their compressed size. Please take in to account that the average compression ratio is 16:1 for average compressed image. 300 x 16 = 5 GB or RAM!!! is needed to render/display your document. That's a lot!!! 32-bit systems even do not allow applications to allocate more than 2Gb of RAM! Therefore I strongly recommend to try 64-bit edition of AllMyNotes (see beta section).

Counting what was said above, we strongly recommend to keep single note size under 100 Mb limit. AllMyNotes has no hard limit on amount of RAM, but the Windows itself may impose these limits.

For instance, I myself store really big amount of random data, including big amount of screenshots and clipped from the web images, collected for over 20 years. It's ~2000 notes. And all of them in summary have ~100 Mb of size combined. If you need to store really huge amount of pictures I'd recommend to keep these images as files on a disk and in AllMyNotes you can keep only hyperlink to these files.
SydHappens

Post by SydHappens »

Eventually I figured that all out and yes, I was sorting images and not paying much attention to the numbers until it started crashing. I wasn't low on RAM, though. Not by any measure. The drive still had close to 1 TB of space.
vlad
Site Admin

Post by vlad »

SydHappens wrote:I wasn't low on RAM, though. Not by any measure. The drive still had close to 1 TB of space.
Amount of free RAM is something complex. The hard drive cannot replace RAM, it's extremely slow. Also, the fact that you have, say, 8Gb of RAM doesn't mean that program can allocate all of these, usually Windows allocates nearly all of it for caching, and though it can release it when needed, it will lead to system slowdown (the cache is really important). Also the RAM is something which is heavily fragmented, and sometimes the system simply cannot find memory gap which is big enough.