Upgrades strip file permissions

Technical support discussions and Bug Reports – You find em, we squash em

Upgrades strip file permissions

Postposted Paul » June 29th, 2018, 6:48 pm

Hello,

Installing v3.25 strips the file permissions of AllMyNotes.ini and Journal.ddb. Prior to the install, these files had a variety of groups being granted access. After installation, the file permission only lists me individually. I have backup software that needs specific permissions and it stops working after every update, not just v3.25. You then have to manually redo the file permissions on each file after each update.

Just to be sure the update strips the file permissions, I ran the update again after correcting the file permissions and sure enough, they were all gone again!

A software update should not touch the file permissions. They should remain unchanged. Please have the update leave the file permissions as is.

Paul
Paul

Re: Upgrades strip file permissions

Postposted vlad » July 1st, 2018, 1:06 am

This is true. The installer does this because recent Windows versions deny file access to new app versions. Do not know why it was done this way by Microsoft, but we have to deal with that, otherwise users simply cannot access their data... Perhaps you could launch some kind of script which will tweak all file permissions to needed state before ding backup?
AllMyNotes Organizer - free tool to organize thoughts, access codes, plus, it has a 1000+ of other appliances :).
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Postposted Paul » July 17th, 2018, 5:11 pm

Hi,

That is a very odd constraint by Microsoft. Knowing the issue, I just manually change the file permissions back again.

It is interesting that I do have multiple database files and only the main file gets the permissions stripped. After the upgrade I can access all my other files with no problems so I don't really understand why only the default database is the issue.

Currently I do have a workaround so I can live with the issue. It would be nice eventually to have this resolved.

Paul
Paul

Postposted vlad » July 19th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Paul wrote:It is interesting that I do have multiple database files and only the main file gets the permissions stripped...

Right, it's the installer which does this, it does it to the most recently used data file and file allmynotes.ini (which keeps app settings)... As a temporary workaround you can unpack Portable version (it has no installer), it will not change much in app behavior itself.

Though yet I have no clear picture how to do it, yes, we'll take your complains to considerations and eventually improve it.
AllMyNotes Organizer - free tool to organize thoughts, access codes, plus, it has a 1000+ of other appliances :).
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Return to Troubleshooting