Horizontal line - customizable (was: Eliminate Symbol Lines)

Technical support discussions and Bug Reports – You find em, we squash em

Horizontal line - customizable (was: Eliminate Symbol Lines)

Postposted MamaWolf59 » September 25th, 2018, 4:46 pm

Hi Folks,

This may seem like an inconsequential problem but it is important for the way I format my notes. I often use a short line dashes to separate portions of text. All My Notes automatically converts these to solid lines. Is there a way to prevent that?

Many Thanks,
MamaWolf
MamaWolf59

Re: Eliminate Symbol Lines

Postposted vlad » October 18th, 2018, 4:51 pm

Upon your request we've enable customization of horizontal line string. Previously it was hard-coded as ===, now you can change it to any other combination of letter. To change it do following:
1. Exit from AllMyNotes
2. Open file allmynotes.ini with Notepad. Find text line RichTextHorizontalLineText=---, change --- it to anything else at your choice.
3. Launch AllMyNotes again.

Note: this change will be available starting from version 3.28, or, from beta-version using the link below:
https://www.vladonai.com/downloads/Install_AllMyNotes_3_27_Beta_b899.exe
AllMyNotes Organizer usage idea: compose your resume in it, and keep archive of old CVs!
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Re: Horizontal line - customizable (was: Eliminate Symbol Li

Postposted Vicparker » October 20th, 2018, 1:37 am

I would like to see a shortcut added to insert the horzinal line.
As it is it takes 4 key strokes to put the line on the screen
I think ( CTL+NUM - ) would be a good shortcut for that.
The problem with changing .INI is it has to be done every time
a new update is released.
Thanks, Great program, keep up the good work.
Vicparker

City/Country: USA/AL

Postposted TimRosenlof » October 25th, 2018, 1:42 pm

[

Seems that I cannot find allmynotes.ini in either of these.
Program Files(x86) > AllmyNotes Organizer
or
Program Files > AallMyNotes Organizer

Tim
TimRosenlof

Postposted vlad » October 25th, 2018, 1:53 pm

Look in to /Documents/AllMyNotes
AllMyNotes Organizer usage idea: compose your resume in it, and keep archive of old CVs!
vlad
Site Admin

Postposted jj2me » April 5th, 2019, 10:51 pm

The v3.29 and the 4.00 beta have removed all the horizontal lines in my database, and replaced them with a variable series of dashes that I entered to get the horizontal line. I entered all these horizontal lines properly according to AllMyNotes manual (which is still specified the same even in those two new versions), namely:

"To insert a Horizontal Line in to the Note text:

1. Simply create a text line with three or more '-' characters"

Apparently, the "or more" in the AllMyNotes manual part quoted above is not being obeyed. I know this because when I first tried to enter a horizontal line in the 4.00 beta with several dashes like I've always been able to do (I would hold down the "-" key until a short line of dashes appear), I brought this up to David in Support, giving an example of entering 7 dashes, like this: -------. His response was "it works just as before, simply need to type --- (3 dashes, not 7)."

I thought, "OK, I'll just enter three dashes from now on." But when I saw that all my previously entered horizontal lines were converted to dashes, I wrote back (on March 26th), informing him that no, it doesn't work as before, it's a database change, and quoted the manual text as above, highlighting the "or more" in the spec. I haven't heard back on this issue.

This is either a bug (violating the specification), or a database change (requiring conversion).

My current workaround, thankfully, is to stay on v3.27, which still works according to spec. But without any fix, that would mean I can never upgrade, and I would need to seriously consider moving away from AllMyNotes, my favorite program, for fear that I'd be stuck on an old version that might not work in the future.

Please advise.
jj2me

Postposted vlad » April 6th, 2019, 1:31 pm

2 jj2me: You are right, our initial answer was not quite correct. Thank you for bringing it up.

We've just fixed the issue, now everything will work as expected, check it out:
http://one.allmynotes.info/downloads/Install_AllMyNotes_4_00_Beta_b1201.exe
vlad
Site Admin

Postposted jj2me » April 6th, 2019, 3:32 pm

Wow, that was fast!

The best program, with the best developer! I only wish this program were more popular so you could be rightfully rewarded.
jj2me

Return to Troubleshooting