HotKey for Background Color

Have an idea? We want to hear it!

HotKey for Background Color

Postposted Ken45140 » August 18th, 2019, 2:48 pm

As I do a large amount of internet/article research, I am highlighting many passages within articles, usually with background yellow.

I would so love/desire/want a keyboard hot key which would apply a yellow (or selected) background color to highlighted text (just like Ctrl-U will apply underlining!). So much mouse movement savings would occur.

Can this be done in the next issue of an improvement to AMN?

Alternatively, are there any outside apps or programs where a keyboard sequence could be defined to change AllMyNotes to do this. Something like AutoIt, TinyTask, or FastKeys?

Thanks,
Ken
Ken45140

City/Country: Loveland Ohio USA

Re: HotKey for Background Color

Postposted vlad » August 19th, 2019, 9:14 am

We do have a feature named "Format Painter", using Alt+C and Alt+V keyboard key shortcuts you can copy-paste text formatting.

Also it seems to me you have to know about pasting text without formatting, use keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+Alt+V to paste without formatting, so there be exactly same formatting as under the cursor.
AllMyNotes Organizer usage idea: do project-planning, use alarms and checkboxes to remember about events, track project progress
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Postposted Ken45140 » August 20th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Vlad: I feel I was misunderstood. I highlight (generally) unformatted text, and wish to make it highlighted with color (usually yellow). If the text I have highlighted with the cursor is unformatted to begin with (no color for example), then the "Format Painter" will do nothing, certainly not turn on the yellow background color. Pasting without formatting also does nothing for my objective to highlight initially UNhighlighted passages.

I intend to try AutoHotKey today and see if I can define a hotkey which, when pressed after certain text within AMN is first highlighted with the cursor, will go to mouse coordinates for the Background Color icon in the top menu list, press left mouse click, move down to the coordinates for yellow, press left mouse click. This would accomplish my objective of a hotkey to turn on yellow background on mouse-selected text. I am not sure how the macro language will behave within AMN, but I will report back on results.

Thanks,
Ken
Ken45140

Postposted vlad » August 22nd, 2019, 8:06 am

If it will not work, please let me know exactly what you are missing so we'll be able to make a keyboard shortcut for it. I presume you need a key for color menu and to select certain color? Something else?
AllMyNotes Organizer usage idea: do project-planning, use alarms and checkboxes to remember about events, track project progress
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Postposted Ken45140 » September 23rd, 2019, 8:37 pm

vlad: you said on 8/22: If it will not work, please let me know exactly what you are missing so we'll be able to make a keyboard shortcut for it. I presume you need a key for color menu and to select certain color? Something else?

I have not been able to get outside programming aids (like AutoIt) to do what I wanted. So, if you could help with an internally designed hotkey, I would be so grateful

Minimum functionality: Some way to separately set a default color. Ini file? Highlight color does not and should not be selected when selecting text with the cursor---that is what I do now.

If no way to set a default, then hard-coded YELLOW would work for me. Then, after highlighting some text, pressing "Highlight Hotkey" would render the highlighted text in the default color. Focus is returned to the editor. Highlight new text, press "Highlight Hotkey" and proceed onward. Rinse and repeat.

This would be a great time saver for anyone, like me, doing article saves/research and then highlighting important points.

Thanks for considering my request.

Ken
Ken45140

Postposted Ken45140 » October 22nd, 2019, 12:34 pm

SOLVED!
I am now able to perform the task of highlighting text in the Editor, then pressing a defined hot key and having highlighted text colored with (in my case) yellow.

I used AutoHotKey, a free program which allows keystrokes, mouse movements, etc, to be coded in a script and then run when a defined hot key is pressed.

The simple code is as follows

^w::
SetDefaultMouseSpeed, 15
MouseClick, left, 871, 101
MouseClick, left, 863, 132
Return

; Bold
^e::MouseClick, left, 651, 101

; Bold and Underlined
^r::
MouseClick, left, 651, 101
MouseClick, left, 706, 101

Ctrl-w performs the action, which simply moves the mouse pointer to a set of coordinates (MouseClick 871,101 on my monitor), and presses the left mouse button, thus opening the color pallete. The next MouseClick, 863,132 selects yellow. Done. The other lines of code do similar for Bold highlighting (Ctrl-e) and then, if desired, for Bold and Underlined (Ctrl-r), all selected to be easy to reach with left hand and not interfere with AMN already defined hotkeys.

I found it essential to download a small program which shows, when active, the coordinates of the cursor so I could define where on the screen to send the mouse pointer. There are many listed after a google search.

Works great, and saves me time (small each time I realize,) but it can add up as I do a lot of research and highlighting in my work.

Ken
Ken45140

Return to Feature Requests