Text indenting, multiple levels

Have an idea? We want to hear it!

Text indenting, multiple levels

Postposted HWK » September 5th, 2011, 6:23 am

Hello!
First off I'd like to comment on the usefulness of your product; I've been using the free version for several months, and purchased the Delux editition recently. Prviosuely I was using Tolon Notekeeper, a nearly perfect product, but I chose AllMyNotes for the availablitity of langanges (as I'm working with others that don't master the english language.)

A feature that I was already missing in the free version is still not available in the delux-edition: Text indenting.

What I mean by this is very much much akin to MS Word: There you can indent text several levels, and always have a left hand boundary down the lines, i.e. every line starts at the same distance from the left hand border, per indentation. This should also be the standard with bulleted or numbered lists. (On linewraps, now every additional line starts at the most left-side boundary rather then that given by the bullet/number). This should also be so in case of importing rtf-files (from Word or other text processors) and exporting.

This would - in my opinion - make AllMyNotes even more useful, especially if notes exported to word processors were properly formatted at the target.

Thanks a lot for caring!
Helmut
(from Austria)
HWK

Re: Text indenting, multiple levels

Postposted Greg » November 15th, 2011, 9:11 pm

Vlad,

I agree with HWK (Helmut): this would be an excellent improvement!

Thanks a lot!
Greg
Greg

Postposted zou » December 6th, 2011, 8:34 am

Vlad,
I also expect this feature to be added.
Thanks
Zou
zou

Postposted liviu » December 9th, 2011, 6:58 am

I'd like it as well, but some things just don't come easily around here ;-) See also related posts at viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16, and viewtopic.php?f=10&t=371.

Liviu
liviu

Postposted HDRon » October 3rd, 2013, 2:02 am

I would like this also, it is hard to read tables with text up against border.
HDRon

Postposted DukeOfKarlov » January 17th, 2014, 9:37 pm

The Following was created in the editor of AMN:
How to created nested lists, see example
• Create a list of items
• Choose which line(s) you want to indent
• In Main Menu Select EDIT > ADVANCED > TABIFY SELECTED LINES
• Example
• This is an example of a nested Bulleted list
• This is second item in nested list
• This is now a third level
• This is second item in third level
• To get back to this level or the previous level: In Main Menu Select EDIT > ADVANCED > UNTABIFY SELECTED LINES

If possible I would like to see an option to indent in the editor's toolbar. That would make it a little easier to use.
DukeOfKarlov

Postposted DukeOfKarlov » January 24th, 2014, 4:33 pm

My original post does not reflect an example of the nested indents because the post is in html. If you follow the steps, the indents will work in the AMN Editor. I use it all the time. Sorry for any confusion.
DukeOfKarlov

Postposted PLC27370 » January 29th, 2014, 12:20 am

Hello,

Yes, good demand, the multiple indenting, but also aligning the lines in a list,
and also, a possibility to transfer the important data (meeting and reminders),
on a smartphon ANDROID !
PLC27370

Postposted Marcel » August 10th, 2014, 11:14 am

I have tested AllMyNotes a while (I bought it one year ago) and I'm excited about the powerful, secure and flexible features of this program. Now I'm moving most of my (>1000) notes (including many attachments) from Evernote to AllMyNotes.

I have already migrated over 300 notes in the last time. Now I suddenly see that indented bullet lists are not longer indented when a text is longer than the width of the screen and wrapped to the next line. In the next line every text starts from the left border, completely ignoring the depth of the indention and so making long texts with severel levels of indentions very difficult to read :o

Is there a chance that the editor is able to fully support indentions in the future?

Marcel.
Marcel

Postposted edger » December 5th, 2015, 11:55 am

Marcel wrote:Now I suddenly see that indented bullet lists are not longer indented when a text is longer than the width of the screen and wrapped to the next line. In the next line every text starts from the left border, completely ignoring the depth of the indention and so making long texts with severel levels of indentions very difficult to read.

I'm new to AllMyNotes and just started to copy some notes over from OneNote 2010.
What I miss most is exactly this! Bulleted and numbered lists become hard to read without the indentation.
From the wording above it seems that has been o,k, in a previous version !?!

I will probably have to use tables with the numbers or bullets in the first row and the paragraph in the second. However, this is real hard work if you are porting dozens or even hundreds of notes.

Also, in the Options I would like a specification of a paragraph spacing. This would help a lot for longer text notes.
Edwin
edger

Postposted vlad » December 5th, 2015, 3:41 pm

edger wrote:...From the wording above it seems that has been o,k, in a previous version !?!...

We never remover features, especially useful ones. If you'll send over to me a sample intended text in OneNote or Ms-Word formats (these two are totally same text formats), I'll look in to it and will try to improve AMN as time will allow to ease your work.
AllMyNotes Organizer usage idea: password-protected contact mangement, use reminders to remember about anniversaries, birthdays, events, and even calls!
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Postposted edger » December 18th, 2015, 4:46 pm

vlad wrote:If you'll send over to me a sample intended text in OneNote or Ms-Word formats (these two are totally same text formats)...

Did you get my samples?
Is it what you are looking for?

Edwin
edger

Postposted vlad » December 21st, 2015, 11:35 pm

edger wrote:Did you get my samples?
Is it what you are looking for?

Yes, please sorry for a moment of silence from my end - I have to finish other tasks I'm working on, and, once done (hopefully very soon), will look into this issue.
AllMyNotes Organizer usage idea: password-protected contact mangement, use reminders to remember about anniversaries, birthdays, events, and even calls!
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Postposted JBoyd333 » January 12th, 2016, 4:39 pm

Yes, I agree. Indenting, and multiple levels from imported text would be a real asset.
JBoyd333

Postposted Franktic » December 10th, 2016, 2:01 am

Please add me to the users wanting this feature. Multi level number and bullet lists are the only feature missing from an otherwise brilliant tool. Is this feature on your roadmap?
Franktic

Postposted edger » July 6th, 2017, 10:40 am

I'm a bit disappointed!
I bought the new Deluxe version 3 (after I bought the Deluxe version of V2 two years ago), unfortunately without reading the list of changes and improvements carefully.
I hoped this problem to be solved meanwhile, but nothing happened. Also the new format painter does not copy the bullet style when formats get copied from a paragraph with round black filled bullets to a new paragraph: the bullets remain square outlined at the destination. Copying bullet lists from the Internet also replaces the bullet, while in V2 the bullets have been left unchanged.

All those new features, except smooth scrolling and autocorrect, are nice but do not improve usability for me.
edger

Postposted jimmyjam99 » October 18th, 2017, 11:41 pm

Hi,

Just started using this software, and love it. Especially the ability to copy/paste web pages.

I would also very much enjoy having better auto-indenting done. Cherrytree does a great job with this. see here http: //www.giuspen.com/topic/lists-multi-level/ .

Basically tab on new line indents and then auto-indents subsequent lines, shit-tab does opposite. Also changes bulleting if turned on, and have seen others that change type of numbering also.

Hope this make sense, can give better examples if needed.

Thanks for your time and great program!!!
jimmyjam99

Postposted jj2me » May 9th, 2019, 6:01 pm

One more vote for indents, like on Gmail, AOL mail, Yahoo mail, Microsoft (Outlook.com) mail. They all have two icons to increase and decrease indent, showing right and left arrows next to lines representing text.

For indenting, everything selected up to the last newline gets indented. The simplest example, selecting only a single line (or list item) for indenting: if the line wraps in the AMN window, the wrapped part is also indented.

Thanks for considering. (I'm guessing this must not be a simple fix with the way AMN has been constructed.)
jj2me

Return to Feature Requests