POLL: Which features you would like the most

Have an idea? We want to hear it!

Which features you would like the most - help us to define priorities.

You may select up to 3 options

View results

vlad
Site Admin

POLL: Which features you would like the most

Post by vlad »

From numerous e-mails we have approximately clear picture what kind of feature to implement next, to make note taking easier, and more comfortable, increase usability and let you love AllMyNotes Organizer more, and, as there is many concurrent major features, and each of them looks highly important, we would like to hear from our customers - what's the most wanted personally for them, therefore, you are very welcome to vote here, your voice will accelerate development of most demanded features.

** See also: POLL: Android, iPhone, WM - which platform to support first?

P.S. Please, no feature requests here, let's keep every feature in each topic, so it's easy to search and keep track on them. Post particular feature requests here, in this poll we cannot discuss them properly, though we will consider your requests. Just want to explain why there is no reply on all the features requested below, it's not a sign of disregard in any case - we always carefully consider all what you are asking for.
AllMyNotes Organizer app - the secure replacement program for One Note!
hcarlson

Re: POLL: Which features you would like the most

Post by hcarlson »

Let me first say that in the 30 years I have been computing: using PIMS and various database apps and with information management my first and foremost interest, I think your product is about the best, overall, that I have used. I enjoy the user friendly aspects.

Now I would like to make some suggestions from my point of view.

1) My least important suggestion is that if you were able to have a person with English as their first language proof at least your applications and help files. I would not expect the same on correspondence. By the way, your English is a great deal better than my .. Is it Ukranian? I'm still working on my English!

2) I wish you offered the option to turn off the initial folder view (right pane) . For me this just adds clutter and not much utility. Same for the Icons. All this has the utility of :lol: smiles. If not a menu option perhaps these could all be stripped in a "business version." I also use tree pad and appreciate many things in that -- I am somewhat torn between the two but I use Treepad for some things and I enjoy bundling all my smaller functions "under one roof" so to speak. i.e. At this time I have one folder called "all my life" I may migrate more apps from Treepad in the future.

3) I like using the insert key to add another folder .. a habit from many other similar programs. Alternately the ability to move icons closer to the right so less mouse movement is needed (if that makes sense!)

4) Again I must emphasis the importance of eliminating clutter. I had looked at your program perhaps a year earlier and in 5 minutes I decided I was not interested. Strange that I ever went back for a second look as I seldom would do that! Looking today at your sample screens they are so cluttered VERY CLUTTERED!! I would have immediately dismissed even downloading it based on that. I am certain that this is a turn off to many others who just take one look and run.

I hope I have been of help to you with these comments.

Harold Carlson
hcarlson4714@charter.net
hcarlson4714@hotmail.com
715-392-4714

1307 N 19th Street
Superior, WI 54880
jackburgess

Post by jackburgess »

There is really only one thing I would ask you to change. As this is an information manager, I feel you would want to make it as easy and simple as possible for a user to actually use the information collected in the program for conducting business. In this regard, I find it very intrusive and time consuming to have to cut your promotional copy every time I want to copy/paste my info into another program, which I have to do as many as 20 or 30 times a day. This practice may be appropriate in the free edition, but when I have paid for a product, I don't expect to have to remove an ad every time I try to actually do something with the product. So please remove this "feature" from the paid version.
vlad
Site Admin

Post by vlad »

jackburgess wrote:There is really only one thing I would ask you to change. As this is an information manager, I feel you would want to make it as easy and simple as possible for a user to actually use the information collected in the program for conducting business. In this regard, I find it very intrusive and time consuming to have to cut your promotional copy every time I want to copy/paste my info into another program, which I have to do as many as 20 or 30 times a day. This practice may be appropriate in the free edition, but when I have paid for a product, I don't expect to have to remove an ad every time I try to actually do something with the product. So please remove this "feature" from the paid version.
Hmm... What exactly you are talking about? Even in Free edition we don't put any promotional text, so likely this is some kind of error, please provide more details and we'll fix it asap.
BDutcher

Post by BDutcher »

I would love to see the ability to select multiple notes in the left column, rather than having to use folder view.

Also, it would be helpful to be able to save search results, say in .CSV format, and to be able to select multiple found items for operations such as move, delete, etc.

Is there a way to compare notes? Something like WinMerge? That would help a clumsy person like me, who occasionally has near duplicate notes.

Otherwise, and overall, it's a wonderful program. Thank you.

Ben
Kimulus

Post by Kimulus »

Hello,

I have used some other similar programs and AllMyNotes has worked better for me. It is very good as it is but if I may offer little suggestions:

1) I do not quite understand why add a not to a folder is not working all the time for me. The note gets inserted to wrong level.

2) I remember using a program called pfs-file with Apple III (yes I have been around...), it had a very clever idea that you could add indexing words to each page. I am wondering some kind of meta directory or something like book Index. Or a way to link a not to two or more folders.

I think the most important thing is that I must learn more how I can use the program better. It would be nice to have a easy way to sync the info between computers and perhaps some day with mobile units.
fluff

Post by fluff »

1) I do not quite understand why add a not to a folder is not working all the time for me. The note gets inserted to wrong level.
hi, have you checked that the folder arrow is pointing down (rather than to the right) before inserting the new note? Complete the folder title for your new note, hit return, then the right arrow (arrow points down). Then add a note, it should be in the tree at the right level then...
refract

Post by refract »

A feature I would like? Oh, yes...a real diary.

I used Zoomracks for many years and annually someone would prepare a "diary" consisting of a database file with a card for January 1st and continuing to December 31st (in other words, 365 cards...or Notes in the case of AMN). This was freely shared around and everybody benefited.

The second part was that you could look at the screen and instantly notice if there was no detailed entry for any particular date (or Note). This was very helpful in that you got an automatic "reminder" to fill in details for that date if it had been forgotten or overlooked. Allmynotes does not have a way I can look at a list of Notes and instantly see if details for a certain date (Note) are missing. An automatic boldface or other screen change would be hugely helpful.

Does such a thing exist? If not, could it be created? I've been creating my diary day by day and that is a nuisance.

Rex Harrill
ciprianorban

Post by ciprianorban »

What I would love the most is improved editing features and templates made available as well as saving personal templates. And this is not to say that your software is not a wonderful program.It still is the best note keeper I ever come across.
Thank you,
Ciprian
Graham

Post by Graham »

I'd like the Paste text facility improved to allow Plain text as the default, unless I've missed it somewhere.
vlad
Site Admin

Post by vlad »

Graham wrote:I'd like the Paste text facility improved to allow Plain text as the default, unless I've missed it somewhere.
Use keyboard key shortcut Ctrl+Alt+V to paste as plain text.

P.S. This message really is off-topic for this forum thread. In the future please post feature requests as a new Topic here
BDutcher

Post by BDutcher »

Yes, me too!
I frequently have to copy and paste from HTML pages. It would be wonderful to be able to make Paste Special / Unformatted Text as my default.

Ben
razorboy

Post by razorboy »

hcarlson wrote:
4) Again I must emphasis the importance of eliminating clutter. I had looked at your program perhaps a year earlier and in 5 minutes I decided I was not interested. Strange that I ever went back for a second look as I seldom would do that! Looking today at your sample screens they are so cluttered VERY CLUTTERED!! I would have immediately dismissed even downloading it based on that. I am certain that this is a turn off to many others who just take one look and run.

I agree. For people who are primarily interested in improving their level of organization, clutter is a turn-off. I thought that AMN looked like a child's cluttered toy, until I saw the "no icons" example on the "features" page. In many ways, less is more in this kind of software.
BruceGalloway

Post by BruceGalloway »

Couldn't agree more with Razorboy and hcarlson. The program looks very childish with the icons fonts chosen and the representation of the notes. A version stripped of all these items would be much more attractive to business users. The program itself seems fine so far after about of week of use. BTW windows 8 phones are underserved for applications and it might be a very good marketing move to port to those devices.
Egao

Post by Egao »

As for me, icons are very useful "as is", but, may be for ones who don't like the "childish style", you can add some other icon set or quick turning it off option? And I should love calendar (vote for that!) as a neat dialog window, which you can hide and show, by pressing on the small button like the others at the program panels.
vlad
Site Admin

Post by vlad »

Egao wrote:...for ones who don't like the "childish style", you can add some other icon set or quick turning it off option?..
There is a simple way to do it - use Free edition, and you will not see any icons and other "childish things" :lol: But seriously, please post feature requests/comments in separate topics, we cannot discuss all suggestions and feature requests here, in a single topic.
JMac

Post by JMac »

So if I like a feature that some others do not (icons), I prefer a "childish" note taker? Bull!

I would like the capability of adding my own icon collections. (Since I am new to AMN, perhaps there is a way and I just haven't come across it yet). I prefer to keep my note titles short and sweet and use icons for quick recognition and filtering, when available. E.g., in mobile calendar apps/PIMs, I like to be able to glance at a one month view and only have icons visible on the calendar. That tells me which clients I will be meeting and shows me where I'll be travelling during the next month - at a glance.

With a notes app like AMN, I would use the icons to quickly see which notes are medical-related, disability-related, business and specific client-related. (I have my own icons that are the logos of all the companies with whom I do business). As mentioned, this lets me keep the titles short but know what the note is generally about.

While custom icon availability certainly isn't my primary feature desire, it ranks up there higher than it apparently does for you "adults" out there. ;)

Of course if you don’t like to see icons, then I did notice that icons aren't applied by default; you have to actively add icons. So what's your problem with others using them? Coding resources? BS - the program already can utilize icons and adding code to allow users to add their own custom icons is simple and quick. And yes, I do know that to be true, having been there. :)

Thanks!

Jim
vlad
Site Admin

Post by vlad »

JMac wrote:So if I like a feature that some others do not (icons), I prefer a "childish" note taker? Bull!
Do not wonder, there is many "adults" out there indeed, who want to strip off AllMyNotes completely, they are even asking to get rid of skins, and make the UI much more complex and cumbersome. But hey, you are in majority too, in fact, we, the Developers, believe that value of custom icons and nice UI is much higher than many other tasks :) Yes, it's still not there due to lack of resources, but icons is very very major feature we are considering to implement soon.
johntennant

Post by johntennant »

All of your features list is great - would love it all - lol.

The need for a calendar should be the highest priority - we live in a fast paced world and scheduling has to be a major feature of any organizer. Making it mobile friendly is then the next priority.
webdeveloper

Syntax highlighting

Post by webdeveloper »

Hi, Vlad.

It will be useful to add syntax highlighting for programing languages: php, js, mysql, html, css.

Thank you.