Inserting various things when creating new note

Tips, tricks and how-to discussions

Inserting various things when creating new note

Postposted randomusername » August 20th, 2012, 11:03 am

Hi. First of all, this program is top notch compared to many of the others floating around :)

There is one thing i seem to not be able to do.

Whenever you create a new note, is it possible for that new note to be automatically created with a checkbox + timestamp + date ?

I've read a post in the forum from 2011, where it WAS possible by editing allmynotes.ini - sadly there is no .ini file in the install dir in this version, so perhaps this is no longer an option?
randomusername

Re: Inserting various things when creating new note

Postposted vlad » August 20th, 2012, 12:12 pm

randomusername wrote:I've read a post in the forum from 2011, where it WAS possible by editing allmynotes.ini - sadly there is no .ini file in the install dir in this version, so perhaps this is no longer an option?

The .ini file is there, just in recent app versions we are using different directory to store it. Try to look in to "/My Documents/AllMyNotes/" folder, it should be there.

randomusername wrote:is it possible for that new note to be automatically created with a checkbox + timestamp + date ?

There is no feature do it all automatically by clicking New button, but you can streamline it if you'll use keyboard shortcuts for this purpose:Ctrl+Shift+C then Ctrl+M and then Ctrl+D
Or... if you really really really need, it, let me know, we'll do something about it...
AllMyNotes Organizer usage example: collect all your financial documents - bills, transactions, taxes, investments, records on bank accounts. Protect it all with a password!
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Postposted randomusername » August 21st, 2012, 11:29 am

Hi Vlad. Thank you for the quick reply.

I found the .ini file, many thank you - i'll try fiddling around with it to see if i can get it to do what i want.

As for the automatic timestamping + checkboxes, yes i do need it, but no, please dont go out of your way to fix it - i'll just make a feature request and you can get around to it whenever you have the time :)

I use the program for writing down customer-specific notes as i work in a callcenter (sort of) - the reason i want the automatic stamping is when you recieve a call, you dont have much time to put these things in the note without making the customer wait on the phone, and after the call you wont always have the timer either cause the phone will ring immidately after.
This undermines the function with checkboxes as i wont be able to tick them off on the fly. Consider this, as I think its something others will probably look for in the program. This being said, your program has some very unique features not found in any other app out there, and I really like the layout, the design, and the functionality. I will purchase my copy later today :)

P.S - Is it possible to change the keyboard shortcut for inserting checkboxes in the .ini file? CTRL+SHIFT+C is kind of awkard combination to do with 1 hand
randomusername

Postposted vlad » August 28th, 2012, 9:15 am

randomusername wrote:As for the automatic timestamping + checkboxes, yes i do need it

How about keyboard shortcut Ctrl+3? I've just added it to version 2.66, and 3.03 beta.

randomusername wrote:P.S - Is it possible to change the keyboard shortcut for inserting checkboxes in the .ini file? CTRL+SHIFT+C is kind of awkard combination to do with 1 hand

This keyboard shortcut is kind of industry-standard, for example, Evernote uses it too. Soon we'll make keyboard shortcuts adjustable, so you'll be able to define your own keyboard shortcuts freely.

What we can do about it right now is to define additional keyboard shortcut for it, you can suggest your own under condition that this keyboard shortcut is not widely-used in other apps - we are going to extend list of used keyboard shortcuts, so it shouldn't conflict.
AllMyNotes Organizer usage example: collect all your financial documents - bills, transactions, taxes, investments, records on bank accounts. Protect it all with a password!
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Return to How Do I...