How to import notes from InfoSelect to AllMyNotes Organizer

Tips, tricks and how-to discussions

How to import notes from InfoSelect to AllMyNotes Organizer

Postposted vlad » April 26th, 2011, 12:02 pm

InfoSelect can export data in to a plain text with marking document break positions, therefore basically it's enough to select root folder in InfoSelect, and export data in .txt file. And in AllMyNotes use File -> Import menu item to import the file. As result, all notes will be automatically imported as multiple sub-notes in selected folder.

The solution will work for majority of cases. However, various versions of InfoSelect are using different document delimiter texts. AllMyNotes is configured to use "=-=" delimiter string. While older versions of InfoSelect use "--", to correct it use steps below:
1. Exit from AllMyNotes
2. Locate AllMyNotes.ini file, open it with Notepad
3. Find "ImportingDocBreakMarkerStr==-=" text line. And change it to whatever you want for example, to have delimiter char "--" (as it was before) would be enough to change this line to "ImportingDocBreakMarkerStr=--"
4. Save changes.
5. Launch AllMyNotes, do import from .txt file.

P.S. The solution above will work also for many other applications that can export data to .txt file, you just need to configure AllMyNotes Organizer to use correct delimiter string using steps above. Enjoy! :)

P.P.S. This article refers to version 2.40 build 428, if you are using older version you are welcome to download it by this link
AllMyNotes Organizer usage idea: a password-protected ideas organizer app
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Re: How to export notes from InfoSelect to AllMyNotes Organi

Postposted blakelyg » April 26th, 2011, 5:56 pm

vlad wrote:InfoSelect can export data in to a plain text with marking document break positions, therefore basically it's enough to select root folder in InfoSelect, and export data in .txt file. And in AllMyNotes use File -> Import menu item to import the file. As result, all notes will be automatically imported as multiple sub-notes in selected folder.

The solution will work for majority of cases. However, various versions of InfoSelect are using different document delimiter texts. AllMyNotes is configured to use "=-=" delimiter string. While older versions of InfoSelect use "--", to correct it use steps below:
1. Exit from AllMyNotes
2. Locate AllMyNotes.ini file, open it with Notepad
3. Find "ImportingDocBreakMarkerStr==-=" text line. And change it to whatever you want for example, to have delimiter char "--" (as it was before) would be enough to change this line to "ImportingDocBreakMarkerStr=--"
4. Save changes.
5. Launch AllMyNotes, do import from .txt file.

P.S. The solution above will work also for many other applications that can export data to .txt file, you just need to configure AllMyNotes Organizer to use correct delimiter string using steps above. Enjoy! :)

P.P.S. This article refers to version 2.40 build 428, if you are using older version you are welcome to download it by this link

Thanks for the update Vlad. Can you tell me if the check for new version works (from the help menu). I am using what I thought was the latest version 2.40 b427. Have the options set to check for beta versions when checking for update and when I click on check for update I even select the appropriate box (to check for updates.
Comes back reporting no new updates.
I know the files (beta and others) are hosted on your site but the release version goes though Cnet.com so maybe that is it.
I know it worked in the past (prior to build 427) because that is how I knew about that build
Good thing I check the forums as often as I do.
:D
Gord
blakelyg

Postposted vlad » April 26th, 2011, 7:56 pm

blakelyg wrote:Can you tell me if the check for new version works (from the help menu). I am using what I thought was the latest version 2.40 b427. Have the options set to check for beta versions

Officially build 428 doesn't exist. Don't tell anyone that you've ever seen it ;) Just kidding... :)

It was a quick build - we have to be cautious with automatic check for updates, cause we already releasing updates every two weeks. Imagine what would happen if you would receive a notification daily. At a same time in case of important/critical update you'll be notified even if check for beta builds is disabled, so no worries.
AllMyNotes Organizer usage idea: a password-protected ideas organizer app
vlad
Site Admin

City/Country: Earth -> Europe

Postposted blakelyg » April 27th, 2011, 1:45 am

vlad wrote:Officially build 428 doesn't exist. Don't tell anyone that you've ever seen it ;) Just kidding... :)

Seen what !!!

;)

Seriously the unofficial release builds addressing whatever issue are greatly appreciated.

Gord
blakelyg

Return to How Do I...